A couple of hundred metres west of Trg svetog Stjepana, slightly set back from the shoreline, are the remains of a Dominican monastery (you can see its surviving bell tower from the citadel), an important centre of religious and political life until it was expropriated by French administrators in 1811 and allowed to fall into ruin. It was here in 1525 that Friar Vinko Pribojević famously addressed the Hvar nobility with his paper De origine successibisque sla'Vorum (Of the Origin and History of the Slays), a landmark text in the development of Croatian national self-consciousness. Pribočević floated the not unreasonable idea that all Slays were ethnically related, but added the improbable hypothesis that they had their origins in Dalmatia, from where the Croatian brothers Ceh, Leh and Rus set out to found the Czech, Polish and Russian nations respectively. The tale of the three brothers is a common theme in Slavic folklore: it crops up in Poland and Russia as well as in the Croatian Zagorje town of Krapina.
The surviving apse of the monastery church now holds a small archeology collection (arheološla zbirka; daily loam--noon & 8.30-10.30pm), with exhibits from prehistoric through to Roman times. Besides flint arrows and axe-heads from two of the island's caves – the Grapčeva and Markova – where the island's first Neolithic inhabitants holed up, there are ceramics from the late Neolithic Hvar Culture, including an anthropomorphic four-legged brazier, the most arresting item in an unassuming collection.
Flightnetwork.com -Specializing in Cheap Flights F