Despite recent development, Korčula Town preserves a neat beauty that has few equals on the Adriatic coast. Just up from the quay, cafes, shops and banks line the broad sweep of Plokata 19. travnja, from where an elegant nineteenth-entury flight of steps sweeps up to the Land Gate (Kopnena vrata), the main entrance to the tiny old town. Begun in 1391, the gate was completed a century later with the addition of the Revelin, the hulking defensive tower that looms above it. The northern side of the gate takes the form of a triumphal arch built in 1650 to honour the military governor of Dalmatia, Leonardo Foscolo, who led Venetian forces against the Turks during the Candia War - a struggle for the control of Crete - of 1645-69.
Inside the gate lies a well-ordered grid of pale-grey stone houses, most dating from before 1800. On the far side of the gate lies Trg brace Radiča, a small square bordered on one side by an elegant loggia belonging to the sixteenth-century town hall and, on the other, St Michael's Church (Crkva svetog Mihovila). This is connected to a neighbouring building by a small bridge which was used as a private entrance to the church by members of the medieval Brotherhood of St Michael - one of many such charitable brotherhoods formed during the Middle Ages throughout the Adriatic. From here, Korčulanskog statuta 1214 leads on into the town centre, passing the Church of Our Lady (Crkva Gospojina; summer daily 9.30am-12.30pm & 7-11pm) on the left, a simple structure whose floor is paved with the tombstones of Korčulan nobles - it's used as a picture gallery selling works by local artists in summer. Above the high altar is a mosaic of the Virgin and Child, a dazzling confection of yellows, blues and pinks completed by Dutchman Louis Schrikkel in 1967.
Flightnetwork.com -Specializing in Cheap Flights F